Friday, September 24, 2010

We Can’t Be So Hard On Ourselves

Hello everyone! It’s been a little while since I have posted. I have been busy lately. It’s a good busy and it’s an exciting busy! I am getting my own little online business off the ground. Trying my hand at selling some little crafty handmade goodies. Anyway, that has taken a huge chunk of my time lately.

So I wanted to talk about feeling guilty. I found myself these past couple of weeks feeling guilty. When I wasn’t working out and was working on my little business, I was saying to myself “I should be working out right now”. And vice versa, when I was working out I was thinking about orders that I needed to get packaged up and sent out. Where is that balance that I am so desperately searching for?

This is a question I constantly ask myself, can I “have it all”? Can I have many facets to my life? How do I fit it all into my day or week or month? This is when it occurred to me that these thoughts were consuming me. And that is not fun.

I don’t know about you, but I am very hard on myself. Sometimes that can be good. It keeps you motivated and active. But on the other hand you and your thoughts can bring your own self down in the dumps in a matter of minutes. Without even realizing it, in the last three paragraphs, you all just took a little trip through my mind and cruised around some of my daily thoughts. It is exhausting!

I HAVE to realize that I can’t always be spot on with my nutrition, I can’t always be so diligent about my workouts. And the hardest thing of all…I have to LET IT GO! I have done some of the hard work, I have made a lifestyle change, I won’t “fall off the wagon”. I am conscious about my health. I have to be more forgiving.

I haven’t done my cardio and lifting the last week or so, but I have still done my Yoga, it is my saving grace. It is what keeps me grounded. The last 10 minutes of class is our relaxation time, our meditation time. Our instructor encourages us to think of NOTHING, concentrate on our breath. And just relax before we all have to go back out into the hustle and bustle of our everyday lives. It is MY time and I love it!

The next time you are hard on yourself, stop….think…and reflect on it. Is the worrying worth it? Probably not. It goes back to the 80 – 20 rule, if you make healthy choices 80% of the time you will be doing just fine.

I guess Winston Churchill said it best. "Never, never, never, never give up."

Here is another Tara Stiles video that I just love. It is called “Letting Go Of Guilt”. She is such a free spirit that has her own way of  getting her point across. But I really believe what she says here makes sense. We have to train our minds to think in a different way. She really wants us to think about why we feel guilty, what do we feel guilty about and what we can do to change that feeling. And change our habits.

Thanks for listening…like you had a choice. Haha! But we will all do our best to live the best life we can and not be SO hard on ourselves!!

Until next time, be well.

~Sarah~

No comments:

Post a Comment